Allows anyone to have internet access on their device
Available for Android mobile devices, PsiPhon is basically an open-code browser application that helps users access materials that would otherwise be banned in their respective nations, thus allowing greater freedoms for people using the Internet.
What PsiPhon Is and What it Does
Let's say that you live in a nation that is very oppressive in terms of “adult” content, so when you go to check on a YouTube video you really want to see, the site tells you that it's been banned in your country for whatever reasons. It could be a song, a movie, or even a cat video that the ruling class decided you shouldn't be watching. For years now, people have been setting proxy addresses to get around these things, but there's a much easier way to do it if you're an Android user. You can simply download and install the PsiPhon app, and you will be able to instantly access materials that your territory has previously banned. This works by basically tricking the host site into believing your Internet provider address is coming from somewhere else other than your nation, so it doesn't ping against any firewall with the host site. This will allow you to watch what you want, to post what you want, and to have the freedom you should have when browsing the Internet.
The best part about this app is that you don't have to worry about manually setting these proxies. Although people skilled enough can do this easily, it's actually a tough task for the uninitiated. This app will automatically set you up through proxies, so that all you have to do is browse. If and when you run into blocked content, the proxies will automatically connect you to a host nation that isn't banned by the host site. It really is that simple.
Pros and Cons of the PsiPhon App
- Works with any sort of website online
- Process is automatic and doesn't require you to set the proxy
- Random proxies used so the host site doesn't catch on
- Works with any Android 2.3 or higher
- Having a proxy address for site A might affect site B
- May only work for viewing content, not downloading it
v91: Fix startup lag
v89: Bug fixes
v84: New icon and bug fixes
v82: Bug fixes
v80: Fix for Android 5.1
v78: Bug fixes
v74: New upstream proxy authentication options
v72: Optimized server selection algorithm
v70: Bug fixes
v68: Android 5.0 (Lollipop) support
v64: Homepage launches in new Home tab
v61: Fewer disconnections, improved feedback form
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.